While Dubai is famous for its Burj Khalifa, Burj Al Arab, Palm Islands and other attractions, Abu Dhabi has its own unique attractions, such as the breathtaking Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. It is known to be the third largest mosque in the world. The mosque attracts hundreds of tourists every day due to its beautiful architecture and its tranquil atmosphere.
The mosque is open for all regardless of whether you are Muslim or not. However, there are several guidelines you will have to follow when you are entering the mosque. If you are unsure of the guidelines for the mosque, worry not! We are here to explain the rules to follow when entering the mosque.
- Dress accordingly- The mosque has a strict dress code. Neglecting to comply will result in being forced to leave the mosque. Dressing appropriately is a form of respect when entering the mosque.
- For the gentlemen- Dressing will be pretty simple as long you do not wear any shorts or tank tops. It is better if you get a traditional Arab robe to wear over your clothes if you are wearing shorts.
- For the ladies- You will be provided with an abaya (a loose-fitting robe) and headscarf near the entrance if you are not covered. However, you can still enter if you are properly covered.
At the Mosque:
- Take Pictures- Taking pictures is a must when visiting the mosque. Take the opportunity to feel in awe of the beautiful architecture of the mosque.
- Ask questions- Really, this is your chance. The tour guides welcome and encourage all respectful questions about Islam or the Emirati culture. Emiratis make up less than 17% of the total population in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). This might be the only time during your visit that you will meet a local.
- Remain respectful- Inside the mosque, women must keep their hair covered. In UAE there are strict rules regarding displaying affection between men and women. This means no touching, even when posing for photographs.
- Tours- You can join the daily tours which differ on certain days and months.
Sunday-Thursday tour schedule: 10 am, 11 am and 5 pm.
Friday tour schedule: 5 pm and 7 pm
Saturday tour schedule: 10am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm and 7pm.
How to get there:
- Taxi. The estimation cost from Abu Dhabi Bus station to Sheikh Zayed Mosque will be around $50-$65 AED.
- Bus. From Al Wadha Terminal, you can take bus no 054. Ticket will be around $1-$3 AED
- From Dubai. You can take the metro to Al Ghubaiba. From there you can the RTA Bus from the bus station towards Abu Dhabi.
- Map Directions. Get your directions from your location by clicking the map below.
To learn about other mosques in the world, click on the link below to find out the more information of the mosques and its location.
Mosque Guide: Learn about other mosques around the world