As we know, most people now depend on their phones to take pictures and videos while travelling. In fact, most of the latest phone models are able to take pictures and videos similar to the camera functions.
However, DSLR, SLR and mirrorless cameras are still able to stand out among camera phones for their ability to capture high resolution, their low-light capability, the control settings of the camera, the availability of separate battery packs and others. If you are not sure what camera to use for your trip, our article contributor, Jefferson Khoo list down 7 different camera models that you can consider to use when travelling.
- 24.2 MP DX-format CMOS image sensor
- No Optical Low-Pass Filter (OLPF)
- 51 point autofocus system
- 6 frames per second (fps) shooting capacity
- EXPEED 4 image processing
- Built in Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication (NFC) for instant sharing
Credit: Jajabd on dpreview.com
Pros: It has advanced specifications and weather sealing.Highly regarded by many users and flexible for any type of photography, suitable for professional photographers.
Cons: Any additional lenses or accessories would easily exceed $1000, heavy, might not be suitable for beginners due to its complexity.
Price: USD $996.95 On Amazon Website
Canon EOS 7D
- 18MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- 8 frames per second continuous shooting
- 1080p HD video recording with manual controls
- 3.0 inch Clear View II LCD screen with 920,000 dots
- 19-point AF system (all cross-type)
- 100% viewfinder coverage
- 63-zone metering system
Credit: Julio Henríquez on Flickr
Pros: Highly regarded by many photographers as their first choice due to its top-notch specifications. It is user-friendly for photography beginners, flexible for many types of photography and has a wide range of Canon lenses to use with the camera.
Cons: Less MP compared to other models, came out 2 years ago so its age is showing.
Price: USD $709.84 On Amazon Website
- Sony Alpha a6000 24.3 Megapixel Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera w/ 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens
- Super fast autofocus with 179 AF points and 11FPS | High resolution with 24MP APS-C sensor
- Instant sharing via smartphone with Wi-Fi and NFC | ISO range of 100-25600 for low light photo
- Easy and intuitive controls | Record Full HD 1080p 24/60 FPS Video | OLED Viewfinder
Credit: Lanwu71 on Flickr
Pros: Mirrorless camera is lightweight than DSLRs.Therefore, it is easier to bring around. It has highly advanced features that can enhance your photography shots.
Cons: Short battery life, very slow autofocus and pricier compared to other mirrorless cameras, not weather sealed.
Price: $USD 789 On Amazon Website
Olympus OMD EM-10 Mk2 16MP
Credit: Chris Gampat on thephoblographer.com
- Built-in 5-Axis image stabilisation for sharper images
- 2.3 million dot OLED electronic viewfinder with 0.62X magnification
- Silent mode (disables all shutter sounds)
- 8.5 frames per second burst shooting
- Fast touch autofocus from camera or phone
Credit: m_laRs_k on Flickr
Pros: It is a mirrorless camera which consists of a Retro design, inexpensive specifications and image quality exceed expectations despite its low price.
Cons: Short battery life, uses a smaller micro 4/3 sensor, settings are more complicated compared to other cameras, not many differences compared to the Mk 1, not weather sealed.
Price: $USD 559.95 On Amazon Website
Credit: Dan Bracaglia on dpreview.com
- New 5-axis in-body sensor stabiliser works with LUMIX 2-axis optically stabilised lenses in video and still capture modes using class-leading Dual Image Stabilisation.
- Eliminates the need for low-pass sensor filters while boosting fine detail resolving power by nearly 10% over existing 16-Megapixel MFT sensors
- Shoot lighter and faster with the modern hybrid photography performance of a Mirrorless camera and nearly half the bulk of most DSLRs
- 16MP Four Thirds MOS sensor
- Electromagnetically driven shutter
- 4K video / photo
- 5-axis image stabilisation with Dual I.S.
Credit: KalleKarl on Flickr
Pros: Able to record 4K videos compared to the other cameras in the list, performs the best in terms of videography.
Cons: Short battery life, heaviest among the mirrorless cameras, not weather sealed.
Price: $USD 699.99 on Amazon Website
Canon EOS M5
Credit: Mike Lowe in Pocket-lint.com
- 24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- Touch and Drag AF Control 3.2″ 1.62m-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps
- Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC
- Bluetooth – Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Digital IS 5-Axis Image Stabilization
Credit: Qeighty On Flickr
Pros: A mirrorless camera which has fast autofocus and is the latest release camera among all the cameras on the list. It has better image quality and specifications compare to the past Canon EOS DSLR family. It can use almost all available Canon lenses.
Cons: Low battery life, slightly costly due to its new release.
Price: $USD 1099.00 on Amazon Website
Credit: Michael Hession in gizmodo.com
- 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III APS-C sensor with no low-pass filter and X-Processor Pro
- 8-way focus lever + the number of focusing points has been expanded from 49 in previous models to 91 (up to 325 points).
- Built-in Iso dial, incorporated into the shutter speed dial
- AF mode(single / Zone / wide-tracking)
- New np-w126s lithium battery
Credit: ludmila liber On Flickr
Pros: Retro look with its rangefinder design, highly regarded as one of the best cameras this decade by many photographers, useful for not just travel photography but other forms (e.g. street photography), its unique leaf shutter means the shutter sound is quieter than other cameras, high image quality.
Cons: The X100T was just released and it is a slightly improved version of the X100S which came out 2 years ago.It can be very costly even without the camera lenses.
Price: $USD 1299 On Amazon Website
Owning a camera can be essential for your holiday as it can either act as a support to your smartphone or provide better video and picture quality. Regardless of the price tag and specification that we explain, find a camera that is suitable for your use as the quality of the shots and recording is only determine by you.